Liberty School Mold | Story | Living With MCS | Press | Photos | Mold Info | Contact | Search

Liberty School Mold

Mold Exposure
Doctors Explain
Virtual Library

Living With MCS:
Family Living
The Life I Lost




Mold Info & Resources:
Mold Basics

Radio & Video
Safe Living



Story: Doctors Explain about MCS & Chemical Intolerance

Timeline    Mold Exposure    Doctors Explain MCS    Virtual Library   

How does someone exposed to mold mycotoxins develop Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS)? Doctors explain what goes on biologically that creates the condition.

  1. Dr. R. Shoemaker M.D., author of Desperation Medicine and Mold Warriors, says:

    Mold Warriors by Dr. R. Shoemaker "Letting adults work in a poisoned environment is bad enough, but just imagine if the sick building is a school. How will we know if our recognition of the effects of chronic exposure to mycotoxins is too late?"

  2. Dr. Martin L. Pall, Ph. D in his book Explaining Unexplained Illnesses says:

    'Explaining Unexplained Illnesses' book cover "There are two types of sick building syndrome situtations--those where new or recently remodeled buildings that presumably have high levels of volatile organic solvents outgassed from building materials are the apparent cause, and mold-infested buildings caused by water condensation and subsequent mold growth. Both of these sick building situations are associated with initiation of MCS cases."

  3. Dr. A. Sprouse M.D. of Columbia College of Physicans and Surgeons explains:

    "When a person is overwhelmed by a chemical exposure the body does not have adequate detox pathways to clear a large chemical exposure. And there is a very big body of literature on mold toxins from the University of Atlanta, Emory and Sidney Crow’s work and other scientists who have either cultured molds and then collected the emission gases and characterized them and have identified them as being either Tirchothecenes or organic compounds like Benzene, Acetone, Zearalenone. These are all of the normal metabolic emissions of mold. And if it's in very small quantities most people don’t have any problem with it. But some patients go on to develop sensitivities to other unrelated products because of the initial overwhelming exposure that they probably wouldn't have it they hadn't had the big exposure in the first place. Other products and chemicals cause similar reactions."

    "It's almost like a body is a funnel and if what goes into the top is minimal then we can clear it. But if that funnel is dumped with three tons of chemicals then it can't filter. It has a finite way of filtering. What doesn't get filtered gets stored in the body. The mycotoxins, a solvent-type of product manufactured by mold, is poisonous to the body."

    Also see Chemicals in the Environment and Human Sensitivity to Them brochure.

  4. Dr. Charlene Bayer and Dr. Sidney Crow say in The Fungus Among Us: Microbes, not Materials, May Produce Irritating Emissions In Buildings:

    Dr. Charlene Bayer

    "Many of the volatile compounds produced by the cultured fungi are identical to those originating from solvent-based building materials and cleaning supplies. ... These VOCs included hexane, methylene chloride, benzene and acetone."

    Dr. Charlene Bayer, principal research scientist and director of Georgia Tech's Indoor Environment Research Program, and biologist Sidney Crow at Georgia State University have investigated a number of "sick" buildings. They believe that many of the indoor problems found in the Southeastern United States are caused by volatile organic compounds (VOCs) given off by molds and fungi.

  5. Doctors Robert and Shelley Young M.D. in their book Sick and Tired say:

    'Sick And Tired' book cover "Such things as smoke and auto exhaust, fumes in the home from carpet, fabrics, natural gas leaks, can cause extreme adverse reactions. Environmental toxins stress and suppress the immune system, poison the cells, and promote the upward development of Yeast and Fungal environmental Toxics. Yeast/Fungus weaken the entire body making it more susceptible to the influence of environmental toxins: vicious circle."

  6. Dr. Doris J. Rapp M.D., in her book Our Toxic World: A Wake Up Call--Chemicals Damage Your Body, Brain, Behavior and Sex says:

    'Our Toxic World: A Wake Up Call' book cover "A 1996 study suggested that 4% to 7% of the United States population becomes ill each day from chemicals. This means at least 11 million people are affected,some very seriously. Typical low estimates of sensitivities to mutiple chemicals suggest that 10% to 16% fo the public have "unusual" sensitivities to common everyday chemicals, while the high estimates in randomly selected adults suggests as many as 30% might be especially senstivite to chemicals... the vast majority who have this problem, are totally unaware of it, but only until they learn more about the possible effects for chemical pollution."


Liberty School Mold | Story | Living With MCS | Press | Photos | Mold Info | Contact | Search

Copyright © 2004-2008 A. Page, pagewebberink, All rights reserved.